Learn all about the Dependent Child Study Visa here. If you have been offered a job in New Zealand your child will need a study visa.

Dependent Child Student Visa

Dependent Child Student VisaThe dependent child student visa is part of the family stream of visa options for New Zealand and is meant for children of a school going age. 

In order to be eligible for his visa and have your children join you in New Zealand, you must be either:

  • An applicant for a temporary work visa; or
  • The holder of a temporary work visa.

Temporary work visas for New Zealand do not make allowance for dependent children, so you must apply for a dependent child student visa for your children.

Our free initial assessment for you, your partner and your children sees you get the correct advice from one of our licensed immigration advisers.

Who can apply for the Dependent Child Student Visa?

You may make an application when you hold a valid work visa and would like your dependent children under the age of 19 to accompany you to New Zealand.

Your children include both those by birth and children of whom you are the legal guardian.

For your children who are 17 and under they are considered dependent upon you.

For children aged 18 to 19 they may not apply for this visa if they have children of their own. It may also be for children aged 18 to 19 that proof is requested to show that the children are dependent on you still.

What the Dependent Child Student Visa allows you to do?

  • Your dependent children can join you in New Zealand.
  • They can study at a primary or secondary school in New Zealand.
  • They may be treated as a domestic student, which means you don’t have to pay tuition fees.

If your child is going to be studying at tertiary level they will need a Fee Paying Student Visa.

The Dependent Child Student Visa allows your children to study full time and can be with no fees!

Which work visa holders are not allowed to obtain a visa for their children?

If you hold any of the following, you cannot make an application for your children:

  • A working holiday visa.
  • A Silver Fern or Skilled Migrant job search.
  •  To work in seasonal employment.
  • As part of a crew of a fishing vessel.
  • In domestic work of diplomatic, consular or official staff.

When can you make an application for a dependent child student visa?

You can make an application at the same time as the work visa application, so your children can accompany you to New Zealand. You may also make an application after you have obtained your work visa.

Keep in mind your child's visa is reliant on your work visa, so their visa only be approved after your work visa has been approved.

How long is the visa valid for?

The dependent child student visa is only available where there is also a valid work visa, so the student visa is only valid for as long as the work visa is.

The minimum income requirement

In cases where you, and any partner hold an essential skills work visa, there is a minimum income requirement. This requirement is to ensure you can sustain yourself (s) and any children.

This means you can only apply for a dependent child study visa if you and any partner earn at least NZD $36,850.44 a year before tax. Should your earnings drop below this level, you and you family may be required to leave New Zealand.

We have been helping families move since 2005, with over 12,000 successful visa applications. You can rely on us for the right advice - we know your family is important to you.

licensed immigration advisor for New Zealand

Get your FREE initial assessment here


Call us today

RSA +27 (0) 21 202 8200

UK +44 (0) 2038 732150

Germany +49 (0) 40 889 15973

More Study Visa Info