Child of a Student Visitor Visa - For student visa holders with children

Child of a Student Visitor Visa

The child of a student visitor visa enables foreign students to bring their dependent children with them to New Zealand while they study. To apply for the child of a student visitor visa, you must either have a student visa or be in the process of applying for one. You cannot include your child in your student visa application. 

Who can apply for the child of a student visitor visa?

An application will be accepted when you hold a valid student visa and want your dependent children under the age of 19 to accompany you to New Zealand.

Your children include those by birth and where you are the legal guardian.

Children who are younger than 17 are considered dependent upon you. However, children aged 18 to 19 may not apply for this visa if they have children of their own.

Note that you may also be asked to present proof that children aged 18 to 19 are still dependent on you.

Eager to discuss your eligibility? Book a consultation call with one of our licensed immigration advisors

What the Child of a Student Visitor Visa allows them to do?

  • Your dependent children can join you in New Zealand; and
  • They can study, but only for 3 months.

Children who need to study for longer than 3 months will have to apply for a student visa.

When can a Child of a Student Visitor Visa application be made?

You can make an application at the same time as the student visa application so your children can accompany you to New Zealand. You can also make an application They may also be made after you have obtained your student visa.

Your child's visa is reliant on your student visa, so keep in mind it can only be approved after your student visa is approved.

How long is the visa valid for?

The visa is only available with a valid student visa, so the child of a student visa is valid for the same period of time.

The minimum financial requirement

There is a 'per person per month' financial requirement for this visa:

  • NZ $1,000; or
  • NZ $400 if accommodation is already paid for.

Evidence of funds includes:

  • Bank statements.
  • Credit card statements
  • Bank drafts
  • Travelers’ cheques

Where there is a sponsor for the financial requirements a 'Sponsorship Form for Temporary Entry' must be completed.

Discover your
visa options

Licensed Advisors

Dealing with a licensed immigration advisor gives you the peace of mind of knowing you are in safe hands. Read our professional standards.

Get in Touch

Germany +49 (0) 40 889 15973
South Africa +27 (0) 21 202 8200