Partner of a Student Visitor Visa - Join your partner while he or she studies
The Partner of a Student Visitor Visa enables you to join your partner in New Zealand during their studies. You’ll be able to explore the country as a tourist and also study but only for up to three months. Let’s start by looking at how Immigration New Zealand defines the term ‘partner’.
Who can apply for the Partner of a Student Visitor Visa
Applications can be made by people in a genuine and stable relationship with a person holding a New Zealand student visa.
What constitutes a partner?
A partner can be by:
- Legal marriage.
- Civil union.
- A de facto relationship.
Key with the application is to prove the relationship is both genuine and stable.
Proof of this includes:
- The period you have been together and how long you've been living together.
- The finances and other responsibilities that you share.
- Photos together.
- Emails and social media conversations between you.
Eager to discuss your eligibility? Book a consultation call with one of our licensed immigration advisors!
What the Partner of a Student Visitor Visa allows you to do?
- Join your partner (the student visa holder) in New Zealand.
- Study for up to 3 months.
- Explore New Zealand as a tourist.
If you wish study for longer than 3 months you will require a student visa.
When can a Partner of a Student Visitor Visa application be made?
Applications can be made at the same time as the student visa application. As a result of this you can then leave for New Zealand at the same time as your partner.
As your visa is reliant on your partner's student visa, it can only be approved after your partner's student visa is.
How long is the visa valid for?
The partner of a student visitor visa is only available where there is a valid student visa' so because of this it is valid for the same duration as the student visa.
The minimum financial requirement
The requirement is per person per month:
- NZ $1,000; or
- NZ $400 where you have paid for your accommodation.
Evidence of funds includes:
- Bank statements.
- Credit card statements
- Bank drafts
- Travelers’ cheques
The following is required is you want to bring your dependent children to New Zealand:
- A completed dependents for a visitor visa form.
- Evidence of your relationship with your dependent (s).
- Your dependent children must be of good character and in good health.
Get in Touch
South Africa +27 (0) 21 202 8200
UK +44 (0) 2038 732150
Germany +49 (0) 40 889 15973