Get your Essential Skills work visa checklist here
PLEASE NOTE: THE ESSENTIAL SKILLS WORK VISA WAS REPLACED BY THE ACCREDITED EMPLOYER WORK VISA IN 2022.
Interested in applying for an Essential Skills work visa? Do you want to set yourself up for success from the start?
Then you have to do two things:
- Get an assessment done to see if you are eligible for an Essential Skills visa.
- If you are, enter the process prepared.
As for the assessment, you can book it right here and one of our advisers will contact you.
To ensure that you have completed all the requirements for your visa application, keep the checklist below handy:
1. Secure a job offer
The Essential Skills work visa allows New Zealand employers to hire foreign workers. As such, you must have a job offer in order to be eligible for the Essential Skills work visa.
What must this job offer look like?
- A written, full-time job offer.
- Your remuneration is in line with your occupation’s ANZSCO level.
What do you need?
- Your occupation must be on the essential skills list and you must have skills and/or qualifications that’s necessary to perform the role.
All is not lost if your occupation isn’t on the essential skills list. You may still be able to apply under the Essential Skills category, it might just take a bit more work by the employer during the application.
2. Submit an Employer Supplementary Form
The New Zealand employer must complete and submit an Employer Supplementary Form. This form provides proof of the fact that attempts were made to recruit New Zealand citizens and residents.
The form asks for:
- Reasons why the particular job specifications are necessary for the role.
- Details of any New Zealand applicants who were considered for the role and who were not suitable or available.
- Reasons why New Zealand applicants could not be readily trained for the job.
3. Prove that you have the required skill level for the job that’s offered to you
This is not as easy as listing your skills on your CV. It is in fact a formal process that evaluates your qualifications, training and experience against what’s asked for by ANZSCO (the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations).
4. Obtain professional or trade registrations
You must get professional or trade registrations for certain occupations in order to take up your role in New Zealand. This means if you don’t have the registrations, you won’t be able to work.
That’s it – the four essential things to have for an Essentials Skills work visa
Your checklist items are essential, definitely, but the not the only requirements for an Essential Skills visa. You’ll still need to meet general requirements too, such as health and character requirements. It’s only when you meet all the criteria that you stand the best chance of getting your work visa.