Immigration News: July 2022
The wait is finally over – at 11.59pm on 31 July, New Zealand fully reopens to travellers! Student visa applications are also reopening at the same time.
Continue reading to learn more about these and other changes happening in July.
Visitor visa applications reopen!
From 11.59 pm on 31 July (NZST), applications for Visitor Visas will reopen.
Fee increases for group visitor visas
When visitor visa applications reopen, group visitor fees will increase:
- Approved Destination Status (China) will be NZ$90 per person, up from NZ$45
- Other group visitor visas will be NZ$110, up from NZ$65
Student visa applications also reopen!
Student visa applications reopen at the same time as visitor visa applications. New Zealand is ready to rebuild its high-value international education sector!
Fees and levies increase for student visas
Immigration New Zealand is introducing increases in immigration fees and levies for student visas. The cost for a student visa will be:
- NZ$375 for Band A (New Zealand)
- NZ$315 for Band B (Pacific)
- NZ$395 for Band C (Rest of World)
The amount students need for living costs while in New Zealand will also increase to:
- NZ$20,000 for a year of tertiary education, English language students and other non-compulsory education
- NZ$17,000 a year for students in compulsory education (Years 1 to 13 at a school)
- NZ$5,000 for applicants for post-study work visas.
The 2021 Resident Visa category is closing
New Zealand created the 2021 Resident Visa in September last year to “recognise the contribution migrants made during COVID-19”.
The 2021 Resident visa was a one-off, simplified pathway, primarily for migrants already in New Zealand but for some who still had to immigrate, too.
The deadline for applications is now fast approaching. Immigration New Zealand will stop accepting new applications for the 2021 Resident Visa at 11:59 pm on 31 July (NZST).
Skilled migrants eligible for a 2021 Resident Visa are encouraged to submit their applications before the closing date.